Apple and Intel have been working out a new connection protocol for some time, and its just hit the market. The old codenamed Lightpeak, is now known as Thunderbolt.
Thunderbolt looks like its going to take over quick.
- All in one – it will push dual protocols (pcie – displayport), meaning it will hook up your display, your external hdd, your printer… anything that uses the tech. Also back compatible with current displayport devices.
- Daisy chain your devices.. no more hubs
- Speeds at 10gbps… will eventually reach 100gbps over the years.
- Copper or optical… meaning for inexpensive setups, you can get cheap copper cables, but to maximize speeds, optical cables can be used.
- Power over cable… bus power all your devices (not sure if that means we can push a monitor and printer off it… time will tell)